The Arizona K12 Center is providing training in Cognitive Coaching℠ at the Office of the Pima County School Superintendent (200 N. Stone, Tucson) this spring. In this workshop, participants will learn ways to expand and refine knowledge and skills to promote more effective teaching and learning. The focus is on strategies that enhance teachers’ intellectual growth and strengthen instructional decision-making. During the workshop the maps and tools of Cognitive Coaching℠ will be demonstrated and practiced. Specifically, participants will learn to: establish rapport, create trust, and conduct planning, reflecting, and problem-resolving conversations. These maps and tools develop teacher self-efficacy and cognitive autonomy, while also developing a sense of community within a school.
About Cognitive Coaching Seminars®
The mission of Cognitive CoachingSM is to produce self-directed persons with the cognitive capacity for excellence both independently and as members of a community. Research indicates that teaching is a complex intellectual activity and that teachers who think at higher levels produce students who are higher achieving, more cooperative, and better problem solvers. It is the invisible skills of teaching, the thinking processes that underlie instructional decisions, which produce superior instruction. Cognitive CoachingSM is a research-based model that capitalizes upon and enhances teachers’ cognitive processes.
The Cognitive CoachingSM Foundation Seminar prepares participants to support colleagues as they explore the thinking behind their practice. It is not a “train the trainer” model, but additional learning about the CCSM process is available through Cognitive CoachingSM Advanced Seminar and other learning opportunities.
Facilitator: Mary Bouley is an experienced educator and consultant with expertise in coaching, mentoring, project management, and professional development. She is a certified Cognitive CoachingSM trainer and specializes in one-on-one coaching as well as group facilitation. Through the Arizona K-12 Center, Mary has been providing Cognitive CoachingSM Foundation training for the past 4 years.
Training each day (8:00-4:00) will cover the following topics:
· February 27, 2014: Trust and Rapport and Four Support Functions
· February 28, 2014: Planning Conversation Map, Cognitive Coaching℠ Capabilities, Response Behaviors and the Planning Conversation
· March 13, 2014: Review & Integration, Meditational Questions and the Reflecting Conversation.
· March 14, 2014: Five Categories of Feedback, Navigating Support Functions, The Role of Data in Mediating Thinking and Reflecting Conversations with a Meta Coach.
· April 3, 2014: Review and Reflection, Filters of Perception: Representational Systems, Cognitive Style, Educational Belief Systems
· April 4, 2014: Cognitive Shift and The Problem-Resolving Conversation
· May 8, 2014: The Pace, Going for the Goal, Listening for States of Mind
· May 9, 2014: States of Mind, The Lead, Pacing and Leading
The eight sessions will run on various Thursdays and Fridays from February 27th through May 9th, 2014.
The cost is $500 per person for the entire series. Registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast and parking validation. Cancellations and requests for refund must be received no later than Wednesday, February 19, 2014. Refunds will not be provided after February 19th. Please email your cancellation requisitions to Cody.Cassidy@schools.pima.gov.